zkSync is a ZK rollup, a trustless protocol that uses cryptographic validity proofs to provide scalable and low-cost transactions on Ethereum. In zkSync, computation is performed off-chain and most data is stored off-chain as well. As all transactions are proven on the Ethereum mainchain, users enjoy the same security level as in Ethereum.
zkSync Era is made to look and feel like Ethereum, but with lower fees. Just like on Ethereum, smart contracts are written in Solidity/Vyper and can be called using the same clients as the other EVM-compatible chains.
You don't need to register a separate private key before usage; zkSync supports existing Ethereum wallets out of the box. At this time, zkSync is solely run and operated by the zkSync team's servers and is therefore centralized. However, this will be transitioned to a decentralized system shortly.
zkSync stands out remarkably in security and usability among existing L2 scaling solutions. Thanks to the combination of cutting-edge cryptography and on-chain data availability, ZK rollups (the core network of zkSync) are the only L2 scaling solution that doesn't require any operational activity to keep the funds safe. For example, users can go offline and still be able to withdraw their assets safely when they come back, even if the ZK rollup validators are no longer around.
1. ETH and ERC20 token transfers with instant confirmations and fast finality on L1.
2. Transaction fees are extremely low for the mainnet cost for ERC20 tokens and ETH transfers.
3. Payments to existing Ethereum addresses (including smart contracts) can be conveniently paid with the token being transferred.
1. Mainnet-like security with zero reliance on 3rd parties.
2. Permissionless EVM-compatible smart contracts.
3. Standard Web3 API.
4. Preserving key EVM features, such as smart contract composability.
5. Introducing new features, such as account abstraction.